Thursday, October 15, 2009

Impeccable with Your Word

"Be impeccable with your word" is one of the 4 agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. It means to speak with integrity, and say only what you mean. Taking this statement to heart means being true to myself when I tell myself I'm going to do something. For example, when I get a good idea for an art project, or when inspiration hits me, I tell myself I'm going to draw such and such, or I'll paint such and such. But time passes, the idea passes and my sketchbooks remain just as blank as the canvases leaning against the wall that are still wrapped in plastic. If I tell myself that I'm going to create a postcard and send it, or I get a design idea and tell myself to draw it... I'm going to do my absolute best to produce the work I told myself I would do. This for me, is the real meaning behind being true to myself: be impeccable with your word (to yourself).

October 8th I wrote (and writing it down makes it more solid than speaking into thin air) that I was going to try and draw, doodle or scribble something everyday to promote creativity in myself. And so I will. Even a doodle, however small can make a difference by being a catalyst for an idea that will eventually turn into something. At the very least, I can feel good about having tried my best to keep drawing regardless of how I felt, and to keep my artistic muse alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment